Go Back   RCFiles Forums > Clubs & Organizations > Texas, San Antonio (Radio Control Headquarters)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #136
NVAMAN
Factory

No racing this Friday too wet😫. See you all in two weeks
NVAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #137
NVAMAN
Factory

Finally got to race (Black) Friday night. Small turn out so they only ran two heats; all 2WD trucks and all 4WD trucks. Too bad because the track was awesome. In the first 4WD heat Doug Nicol won with at 49/5:02 run. I was basically in a test mode and pulled my truck off early so as to have time to made a few changes. In the second heat, after a tire change and a few tweaks to the ESC settings I managed a 50/5:02 run but traffic forced me into the infield and one lap did not get scored. Looking at the lap times and correcting for heavy traffic, with a more clean run I would have nearly had a 53lap run. My truck was working great! In the main Doug once again won with a 51/5:00 run and my fellow Tekno racer Steve Espinoza came in 2nd with a 49/5:05 lap run. I made another tire change and found they did not like the track so I pulled my truck early in the main so I could go home and watch the Washington/Washington State Football game (GO HUSKIES).

Robbie Allen dominated the 2WD class winning the main and both qualifiers by at least a lap over the next fastest truck.

Full race coverage is on LiveRC. See you all in two weeks.

Last edited by NVAMAN; 11-27-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #138
junior1178
Getting faster...

anyone racing this friday???
S400 (retired.. On Road TC)
GTP2e
12R5.2
junior1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #139
RC_A
Something Good

We've already canceled it.
RC_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #140
NVAMAN
Factory

No racing again because of rain. I’m heading for the RGV to get my racing fix. Some oval and off road. See you all next year, hope the weather cooperates for you all on the 21st. We are having a party that day and won’t make that race

Last edited by NVAMAN; 02-07-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #141
NVAMAN
Factory

Hopefully we can race thus Friday
Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #142
NVAMAN
Factory

Well it rained again and again and again. I'm either going to feathers or buy a boat. Anyway I'm heading to the RGV for some racing next week then knee surgery so I wont be racing for a while. Hope someone will continue posting the results here (assuming the rain stops) See you all as soon as I can walk again.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #143
junior1178
Getting faster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVAMAN View Post
Well it rained again and again and again. I'm either going to feathers or buy a boat. Anyway I'm heading to the RGV for some racing next week then knee surgery so I wont be racing for a while. Hope someone will continue posting the results here (assuming the rain stops) See you all as soon as I can walk again.
have fun racing... wish you the best and a speedy recovery...
GTP2e
12R5.2
Old 04-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #144
NVAMAN
Factory

Well between the weather and SPURs games I finally got to race Friday (the 12th). I'm holding off knee surgery for a while. Small turnout resulted in only two heats: one 2wd and one 4WD, which was a bad night for me to decide to run both classes. My Tekno 2WD conversion had worked well in the RGV at 5 different tracks and worked well here at RCHQ too winning both qualifiers and setting the fast lap @ 6.234. I withdrew from the main so I could concentrate on 4WD so Wilson Bolyard won (BTW Mike Bolyard had the fast lap in the main at 6.244). 4WD was a battle for me of having too much power for the track. I kept adjusting the truck and by the main it was working pretty well. After lending a part to Steve Espinoza, he got his Tekno working pretty well too and we had a back and forth battle at a 50/51 lap pace until I lost a screw in the LF hub and had to withdraw. Steve continued on until the 4:27 point of the race when a wheel came off and he withdrew but he was so far ahead of the others that he still won the race. David Wilcox came in 2nd (both with 43 laps). I did manage to get the fast lap in 4WD too and won "the much coveted" HIGH FIVE award.

Looking forward to the next race

Last edited by NVAMAN; 04-20-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #145
NVAMAN
Factory

Another nice night for racing, but a small turnout for oval with only 11 entries. Track was smooth and packed down, but the dirt was still moist so you had to race the track conditions. The 2WD class was dominated by the Ticknor clan from Helena Montana, in fact they filled up the entire class. In 4WD SCT it was more than a family event. Steve Espinosa won both qualifiers and looked like he was headed for his third consecutive win. My truck was handling so poorly I pulled it off in the 2nd qualifier at lap 7. Made some tweaks to the chassis an ESC, cleaned the mud off my tires, and got ready for the main - I could tell from my practice lap that my adjustment worked! In the Main Steve and I had a great back and forth battle as I remember it, although the scoring sheet shows I lead all but the 1st lap. Steve lost a wheel at the 4:18 mark and ended up 4th, thus ending his consecutive win streak at RCHQ. I won with 48/5:01. Jake Ralls was 2nd and David Wilcox was 3rd. Also I want to welcome back Alec Martinez after a serval year absence from RCHQ. He came with a new Associate truck. Not the fastest truck out there, but he was very consistent. I think he was just under geared, which he will probably fix next race.

See you all in two weeks.

Last edited by NVAMAN; 04-28-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #146
NVAMAN
Factory

Finally Fast Friday again!!! Brad Johnson pulled off two 52 lap runs in 4WD SCT to sweep all 3 qualifiers and the A main. First time since last fall that someone has gone 50 or more laps at RCHQ. I went on a car cruise with our car club and got home late. Expecting heavy holiday traffic around rush hour I didn't expect I could make it to the track in time to race so I just went to watch. To my surprise the traffic was much lighter than normal and I could have just made the race - oh well!!!. Anyway I got to watch.

Ever hear of the old adage: slow down to go fast? I watched David Wilcox in the second 4WD heat. His truck was spinning out in the straightaways. I talked to him after the race and total him he had too much power in his truck and asked him to turn down the throttle endpoint on his transmitter (he was at 100%). He did dial it back to 85% and looked much more stable and in control in the next race but more importantly he went 2.5 laps faster than he did in the previous run. Not only did he run more laps but his best lap time improved too by 3/10th of a second. Oh Yes SLOW DOWN TO GO FAST

Don't believe it, check out the facts on rcqh.liverc.com

Last edited by NVAMAN; 05-28-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #147
NVAMAN
Factory

Long time since my last post. IF it hasn't been the weather its been the declining attendance at not only oval but off road as well. I talked to Robbie this afternoon about options for Oval. I know several oval racer where Friday is a problem for them because of either traffic coming down from Austin or Friday night Soccer games. Robbie proposed two options to consider that may boost Oval attendance. He is going to post these options on Facebook and I'm going to present them here.

Option 1 Move the Oval racing to every other Wednesday night, would be a short program because of school so the program would be over by 9 PM.

Option 2 Mover the Oval racing to Saturday afternoon. With the cooling weather, the RCHQ off road program will begin running during the day time every other Saturday, The Oval program would run on the Saturdays when the off roaders do not race.

Nothing in concrete, just asking for feedback on what would be better for you?

RCHQ has run by default 2 & 4 wheel drive Short Course Truck classes. Are there any other classes you would be interested in? Or any other suggestions

Last edited by NVAMAN; 10-02-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #148
junior1178
Getting faster...

friday nights are better for me.. but i won't be able to make it every week on any schedule... i like every other saturday better than wednesday nights though...
GTP2e
12R5.2
Old 10-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #149
NVAMAN
Factory

No oval last night weather again! But this time it wasn't too wet but too cold and windy. Better luck next time.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #150
NVAMAN
Factory

Saturday Oval

Nice to be back to post something other than no racing. Yesterday was the second Saturday of racing since RCHQ moved it to daytime racing. I missed the first night, which looked like there was some exciting racing, but yesterday was great. Robbie at the drivers meeting talked about why they separated the 4WD class into two classes: the advanced class and the intermediate class. In a word consistency. The drivers in the advanced class can hold their line, control their trucks and not get in each others way. So I decided to check that out with the help of RC Live, which gives a consistency rating for each driver for each heat/main. Yesterday there were 4 drivers in the advanced class, three qualifiers and a main. that's 16 driver events well actually 15 since I DNS in the main. Of those 15 driver events the LOWEST consistency rating was something like 82%, the highest was in the mid 90s. I checked the intermediate class and there were only 4 driver events that were in the 80% range and one was very very close to 80; but that was it all day long. So intermediate drivers practice practice, practice, practiice. but more importantly practice good race driving habits, learn how to set up your car/trucks and then you'll see your lap times come down, your laps go up and your consistency improve. So now you ask How do I do that? Ask one of the advanced guys to watch you and listen to their feedback. During the race might be difficult but afterwards there is time for practice. I told Robbie I'd be glad to help racers learn how to setup their car/trucks for a race. Tekno is my specialty, but setup is setup and I can help you with your car/truck, I just don't do Traxxas electronics but RCHQ can help there. If you are interested contact Robbie at RCHQ or let me know here and we can arrange a time/place to meet. I'm retired so most times will work for me.

Now for the racing. I brought my Late Model body out for its second race yesterday after winning its first race at a memorial race for a friend in the RGV. Tighter turns here highlighted some handling problems in the first qualifier that needed to be fixed. Went from 1st to last in just a few laps where Robbie and I spent most of the race swapping 3rd and 4th (aka last) place. Mean while Duane Weathersby sped away to win in his Dale Earnhardt inspired black truck.

Threw some major changes to the car in terns of droop and wedge and crossed my fingers for the 2nd qualifier. Wow what a difference. Even with a 11 second lap I went 3 laps more than the first qualifier. Duane led from start to finish narrowly missing a 52 lap run by 0.071 seconds.

Made some more subtle adjustments for the 3rd qualifier and that turned out to be just right. Led from the start until a slight error dropped me to last but I worked my way back to second where I was running for a few laps with Duane who was now in 1st. I could tell I was running at nearly the same pace as he was so I knew I was making head way with my setup. Unfortunately at Lap 29 I had a crash that cause terminal damage and I had to withdraw from the main. (Broken battery wire that had to be repaired at home). Before the crash, I managed a 5.4 second lap (near my fastest) and was on a 51 flat lap pace and improving - all good signs for me. Except for the few laps I led at the start, Duane led the rest. and of course he managed to do 4 sub 5.4 second laps the best was a blistering 5.331 lap. What a day he was having. Robbie 2nd and Doug Nicoll 3rd.

In the Main Duane got off to a bad start dropping to 3rd place at the start, Robbie jumped into the lead where he remained until Duane caught back up on lap 19 and passed, Robbie repassed on the next lap and held the lad until lap 26 when Duane repassed Robbie took the lead again and stayed there the rest of the race. Duane won with 52 laps but Robbie finished second just 2 seconds behind Duane, Doug was third with 49 laps. I enjoyed the rest of my diet coke.

What an exciting day of racing. Although it didn't turn out well for me, I had fun, met new friends , renewed old friendships, and got to watch all the mains.

Come on out and enjoy the fun and hopefully sun! See you'all in two weeks

Last edited by NVAMAN; 12-08-2019 at 11:09 AM.